Sunday, January 13, 2008

Ambidexterity Update! #001

I've started training to become ambidexterous. So far I've practiced writing the alphabet with my left hand, using chopsticks, and using my mouse. So yeah. I'm going to get better though, then pwn Econs essays by doing two questions at the same time.

Asides from that, yeah. I've got more questions and observations about the world.

On Humour. It's actually a very amazing thing. What I've noticed is that humour is so universal to human beings. I think it's to show that "Hey, I'm not a threat, let me into your herd so I can get extra protection from predators." Almost (I mean almost; certain "enthusiastic" teachers display very little sense of humour at all) everybody uses humour almost everyday. Like, new people dumped into unfamiliar OGs. Jokes are the greatest form of acceptance. There are even people who make a living out of being funny. I've been watching a lot of Stand Up Comedy on YouTube, to get out of being emo all the time. Some of them are really quite good.

On Literature. Again I wonder why so many modern books aren't part of literary syllabus. I caught sight of The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time (hope I got the title correct) being a core book in the English B syllabus. So why can't books like Dark Materials or Harry Potter be examinable as well? It'd get students more interested in Lit, for one. And there's so many similarities with them and Huck Finn. They're all controversial, difficult to read (in a sense) and are, seemingly, children's books. Maybe they just don't have the depth of all the other so called "literary works of art". Isn't that just an opinion.

On War. A poem by what'shisnameIcan'tremember about the horrors of World War One and how it was all useless to the next generation. Someone raised a point about how, in those times, soldiers were all 18 or 19 years old, too young to live through the horrors of war (most of them didn't). So I was wondering, why if 18's too young to go to war, why's it old enough to go to NS and train for war?

Memorized Thesaurus
The unnecessary, inessential, dispensable, unimportant, disposable, peripharal, redundant, superfluous, replaceable, insignificant Edna Man

No comments: