Wednesday, December 21, 2005

The Christmas Wish

[Quote of the post] Wouldn't Christmas each day be the coolest of all... - Timmy Turner, Fairly Oddparents
[Song of the post] Finale B - Rent

Not long from now on a cold winter’s night,
When the ground was covered in frigid hard white,
The Spirit of Christmas decided, this year,
That this special holiday should disappear.

The people of Earth no longer deserved
To celebrate Christmas, the Spirit observed.
In the past dozen years the spirit of Christmas,
Had become a commercial business,

Where the Santas were shaven and wore business suits,
Carried big budget laptops and wore black leather boots.
Reindeer only flew when they flew off the shelves,
And machines took over the jobs of the elves.

And worst of all, even worse than the sales,
Worse than the eggnog and the cards-in-emails,
That the gift of giving was gone from the present,
Which made Christmas all the more that unpleasant.

So Christmas was now a day of consumers,
Of shopping, of gorging, of dressed-up costumers.
The true meaning of Christmas had gone from the land,
And so, said the Spirit, the custom should end.

But the Spirit of Christmas was giving and kind,
And so he could quit with a firm peace of mind;
He gave mankind one single last chance
To save themselves from this world of finance.

He took off from the North Pole and circled the globe,
To scour the land, to search and to probe,
For mankind’s last chance, where the spirit of giving
Was still valued higher than the standard of living.

From house to house, cross-country, he went
To examine the reach of money’s extent.
But whatever he saw, he saw with dismay,
It seemed Christmas had slid from their hearts like a sleigh.

In every house was a similar theme
Which dealt a serious blow to his esteem.
The children weren’t playing under the Christmas tree;
They weren’t there, not where they should be;

Instead they were staring into their TVs,
At their computers, or on X-Box 360s.
Wherever he went, the rich or the poor,
Christmas was gone from their hearts for sure.

“Mankind should not have such a wonderful day;
I shall see to it that it’s taken away.
Hang on, okay, just one more last home,
One last chance, before Christmas is swept to the twilight zone.”

The Spirit of Christmas entered the house.
Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse.
And then he spotted, under the tree,
A small little boy, laughing with glee.

The Spirit thought, this could be mankind’s last hope.
If this one fails, I don’t think I’ll cope.
So the Spirit of Christmas asks the boy,
“What made you laugh? A new sort of toy?”

“No,” says the child, still laughing with joy,
“It’s the star right on top I really enjoy.
What brought it up there must have been swift;
It doesn’t matter I only got one Christmas gift.

As long as that star shines on top of my tree,
That alone is gift enough for me.”
And it was then that the Christmas Spirit,
Knew that he had found the nail’s head – and hit it.

So he explained to the boy who he really was,
And when he was finished there was a long pause.
“You mean I get one wish, free of charge?”
“Yes,” said the Spirit, “How small or how large?”


What would you do if you had one wish for Christmas? One single wish, "...and x-nay on the wishing for more wishes." - Genie, Disney's Aladdin. What would you wish for? Will you wish for something on your Christmas wish list? Or will you wish for something for your family members or your special friend? Will you wish your boss would disappear, or that your boss could have the best retirement of his life? WIll you wish that you took over the world? Or will you wish for the world to be a better place?

What will you do if you had one wish for Christmas? Think about it. And, if you have a blog and are reading this, I tag you to answer this question. It's not a meme. Just answer the question as truthfully as possible.

I don't know why I put my Christmas wishlist on my blog. Now, despite the postscript, people are trying to give me stuff. Although I don't really mind, I just don't feel right. Just because I post my Christmas wishlist online, I get my Christmas dreams fulfilled? What makes me so special? And I... with my small gifts... how can I compare?

Thanks to all the people who sent me gifts already: JX, KW and ZQ. Thank you so much. I never realised that some of my friends would do this for me. I never realised that some of my Christmas wishlist could be fulfilled. Thank you.

Rememer, answer the question. What would you do with one wish on Christmas?

The boy thought for a moment, then made up his mind.
“Christmas,” he said, “if you’d be so kind
As to give this chance to my family and friends,
For each one wish for what they intend.”

The Spirit was shocked, confounded and stunned.
“Wouldn’t you like to have something more fun?
Something for yourself, perhaps,
Army toy soldiers, or that thing with the flaps?”

“Thank you so much, but it’s really okay,
I never had many toys to play anyway.
But this one special wish, for anything I want;
I can’t keep it all to myself; I can’t.

So by giving one wish to my family and friends,
I’m passing it on, and hoping it won’t have an end.”
And so Christmas was saved, and I hope you will learn
That giving is not something that you have to earn.

No comments: