Sunday, January 09, 2005

Oh. My. Goodness.

There are idiots in the world, we all know that. It could be your boss, your teacher, your friend, that guy in the bookstore. (I'm not implying anything here... yet.) The problem is, we don't know how many actually populate the earth... until now.

On the 4th of Janurary 2005, one of the countless idiots of the world reared his ugly head. He calls himself "Jay", and seems similar to, in every likeness, the Grinch, although he has one less heart that the Ace of Hearts, and his crime is worse, far worse than trying to steal Christmas. You can visit his blog here. I won't type anything on my page because his post(s) contain several vulgarities. (So it's NC-16)

I don't usually criticise other people's blogs. Like ZQ said in a private conversation, "It's freedom of speech, so I'm not going to comment." However, there is a thin line between "Freedom of Speech" and "Gone over the deep end".

I've got to go now, it's getting late, but I just want to say this. Even with all the stupidity in this world, with all the coldheartedness, and the ignorance, it's just lucky that there are more people who are kind, who care, who are generous and giving. I'm not Christian, but you don't have to be religious to know how to give. To know how to care. To know how to help. Just remember, there are people less fortunate than you, and there's nothing wrong with giving a helping hand. Imagine, if you were one of the tsunami victims right now. You're family's gone. You have no food. No drink. Your house is in ruins. You only manage to survive by pushing yourself day after day: Don't die. There will be some good out of this. You fear that another killer wave is going to hit you. You might die. You might starve. You might die of thirst. You might die of grief.

OK, I'm getting too philosiphical, but remember this. Just because you are an American, or British, or German, or French, or Spanish, or Japanese, or Iraqi, or Chinese, or Malay, or from any country, race or religion. You can make a difference. No matter how small, you can make a difference. Have a heart. Make a difference. Change history. For the better.

This is my first post that I haven't included any humour, but I feel that it is better to get my point across that to have you laughing. Please post your comments, not on my Tagboard, but on the post itself; I want to read them cast in stone.

To Jay, I only say this: You're lucky none of the tsunami victims have access to a computer, the Internet, machine guns, tanks or a nuclear warhead. You're lucky that only a small number of people know about this. You're lucky none of the people of the above have machine guns, tanks or a nuclear warhead. You're lucky you didn't get hit at all. You're lucky you even have a computer to blog your stupid thoughts on. You're lucky. Very lucky. But one day, your luck will run out.

1 comment:

Demel said...

I wouldn't go as far as going he's an ultimate jerk, because in my opinion there is some truth in his statement. Then again, there is truth and every lie and a lie in every truth, and he had a whole ton of stupid ideas (Not lies) and basically a few lies here and there. Mostly stupid ideas. Little lies, little truth.

I will, however, agree that he has gone over the line quite a fair bit. But if you look at it again, haven't majority of the comments also done that?

(Begin idealistic views)

If they'd stop fighting fire with fire maybe things would've gone a little better.

(End idealistic views)

Yes, many people are donating out of symphathy, but majority of us are also instantly accusing other people of being heartless the moment they don't donate. Are you seriously capable of saying "I will touch the hearts of many people out there with my donations"? Even if you were, would people out there actually be touched?

Call me heartless, but with the constant talk about everyone donating to the tsunami and people labelling others as heartless makes me rather cynical. One donates, one doesn't donate. We all have reasons for donating, and there are those who don't. While it is sad that there are people who have such reasons not to donate, like Jay; there's also the people who donate just so they look good. This is, if you don't notice, a really good chance for a small country like Singapore to get on really good terms with Indonesia if it hasn't. Get my drift? It's too controversial to take a perfect stand on. While it's quite obvious one should donate in such a small context such as school, what about the big picture? There's plenty of ulterior motives to donating then.

People could all just donate huge sums of money, and others who don't could just laugh at them. We'd just call them heartless, and they'd laugh at us again for thinking we're angels. What good would it do?

I'm gonna put my reply on my blog too, if you don't mind.