Friday, March 03, 2006

Suicide is not an option

[Quote of the post] The ribbon on my wrist says do not open before Christmas.
[Song of the post] You Had a Bad Day - Daniel Powter

I am beginning to have doubts about the value system in my school.

Disclaimer: this post is not meant to spite or flame or degrade my school in any way. I'm just complaining about stuff. Don't bring the Sedation Law down on my neck.

Two things. Firstly, this morning, our principal announces that the board of governors have decided to "use the correct term" for the branding of our school name. Instead of being just "AC", it has to be the full "ACS". "So the Drama Club cannot be called ACDC but ACSDC and the AC Prefectorial Board must be renamed the ACS Prefectorial Board." He gave us two weeks.

First, why does our school have branding. Yes, I know it's an independent school so it can't get government funding. But marketing the name of the school? What's next, merchandising? Get the William Oldham Action Figure - an ACS Inc. Product!

Second, sure, okay, it shouldn't be just AC; it should be ACS. But isn't drastically changing names just to conform to that a bit drastic? I mean, for further references or brand names we use ACS, but can't we just stick with what we have? Which sounds better, ACDC or ACSDC? It totally loses its rhyming scheme. If it's not broken, don't fix it.

On a side note, MPac has to become like, MPacs. Zhang says it sounds plural.

Incident number two. All the NPCC teachers are like, "Come for NPCC Service Day because it is important if we want to be a Gold unit," and "Your Dry Practice is important because if you don't go for your two practices you can't go for your classification shoot and we need a certain percentage to get points for out unit." Okay, so we, as cadets, are coming up for training, just so that NPCC Land can get the Gold award for UOPA. Like WTH? So we are just coming for points. We're just here so that you can get Gold and then next year when the slide comes out with all the UYO awards NPCC Land won't be a Silver.

That's not the point of UYO is it? All this while, I've been living through two years of incomprehensible torture, unexplainable pain, and I keep telling myself that it's for my own good, I'm going for all this because it's for my own good. Then all of a sudden, "You need to come so that we can get Gold." I don't know how to describe it. It's like... I'm not coming so that you can make me a better person, I'm coming so that you can show your face in public, that you are not in charge of a Silver unit.

Sigh.

Anyways. I'm really depressed because there seems to be lots more UYO stuff this year. I've got to miss lessons again and stay until 6 on Monday because NP NPCC (must follow school branding rules) Land is in charge of duty for Track and Field heats. Then AGAIN on the finals. I have to miss SL meeting this Friday because of NPCC Service day. This is another brainless time-waster; when I went in Sec 1 and rang people's doorbells, they just ignored us because they thought we were salesmen. Seriously, if you see a bunch of kids outside your house in police uniform, would you let them in to let them tell you about house safety? Ironic, isn't it?

Then there's NCO camp over my birthday. 13th, 14th and 15th. 13th I was going to replace Daniel for the Chinese compo camp thing. BLAM NCO CAMP DRY PRACTICE IS IMPORTANT (refer to above). 14th and 15th I have MEW. BLAM NCO CAMP DRY PRACTICE IS IMPORTANT. Now Daniel has to find another replacement, I possibly have to miss out MEW and have target practice on my birthday.

As Mr Quek says, why are we so multi-talented. There's so many things you have to do, so many pebbles you have to change to golf balls, so much sand you have to change to pebbles, that even the coffee can't be poured in.

I've been working on this post and managing 7 chat convos for about 1 1/2 hours and listening to Jarrel explain some stuff to me and I have totally forgotten about my Chinese homework. Will have to go do it now. OEP blogs tomorrow night. I promise.

No comments: