Monday, January 19, 2009

Collective Heartbreak

It's such a drag to be alone, but sometimes you've got no choice. Maybe it'll take you off on a world of adventure.

I went down to the Esplanade Library yesterday to borrow a couple of music scores for my EE. And since I was there, I thought I'd drop by the Museum of Broken Relationships, an art exhibition originating in Croatia, with items and memories donated by people from a number of Eastern-European countries and Singapore, the first Asian stop on the tour. I don't really frequent art exhibitions, but this one was quite intriguing. I took lots of pictures; there were some really unusual objects. There was this film of the hunting areas around some Croatian place I think, and the caption said it won the award for the Fastest Loss of Concentration during a Screening. There was a whole bunch of memories and stories behind them; one item, a key bottle-opener, had a caption that explained that the previous owner's lover kept getting her gifts but refused to sleep with her. Then, "I never knew how much you loved me until you died of AIDS."

After my borrowing, I noticed that there was music coming down from the bayside amphitheatre. The was a cool jazz/blues band there, with a harmonica as lead, which was quite awesome. I had time to sit through three songs before I had to go. I never knew what they were doing it for, because there were no posters or anything, but I think I will forever remember the name of the band as "Sound Check in Progress", because that was the only sign they put up. Oh, and there was this really big ang moh lady sitting up at the front whose pink underwear had rode up to her lower back and she was completely oblivious to it.

Yeah, so that was my adventure at the City Centre yesterday. I went into MPH and realized that there was a whole bunch of books I wanted to read, but I don't think I'll ever be able to read them.

Ally got hit by a car on Friday. She's apparently okay, with no head trauma or internal bleeding or mental scarring or anything. Just bruises, and a scratch. I think when I want to get knocked down by a car, I'd look around and make sure that no deputy principals are around, who will come around and visit me in hospital. Oh and I got knocked down today too, but not by a car, during the PE run, and I got this huge gash in the palm of my hand which until now would not stop oozing blood plasma (at least I think that's what it is). I'm now incapable of clenching my fist or holding chopsticks or giving anyone high-fives. Sorry.

Charmaine and Lorraine have two gu-zhengs in class and are frantically practicing at any free moment in class. It's a very fascinating instrument, the gu-zheng, like a cross between a harp and a guitar. It has the very Chinese-oriental sound which is awesome for Chinese-oriental music. A bit of their song sounds like When You Believe from Prince of Egypt though. There's another bit that's stuck in my head and I can't get it out.

My mom got me an external hard disk drive today. It's 250 Gigs, which is about four times the size of my desktop hard drive. I'm going to test it out now.

On hindsight, this post seems too much in the style of Paddy Clarke.

Ha ha ha,
The Edna Man

No comments: