Sunday, March 23, 2008

Life After People

I just watched the above show on the History Channel. I think it's awesome, both the channel and the programme. THC can definitely rival the Discovery Channel and give it a run for its money.

Back to the programme. It seems so... demoralizing? That the traces of our civilization will only last another thousand years at best, if we are completely wiped off the face of the earth at this point in time. Nothing we made today can stand the test of time. It's so ironic that the ancient Egyptian writings, carved into stone and clay, will outlast and have outlasted our CDs and paper. It really puts things into perspective: we're nothing really, compared to time. Nothing.

Oh yeah, another thing. Went up the mountain cemetary again today. For the last time. I've been going like, ever since I was 7. Or 12, I can't remember. Anyway, for the past 5 or 10 years I've been climbing up that hill and paying respect to Chinese traditions and my long-gone great-grandfather and now they're going to exhume the corpses and move them all away so they can build something else. I'm not really happy nor sad, but well. It's different.

Everything changes.
The Edna Man

No comments: