Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Vietnam OEP 2006 Part VII: If

[Quote of the post] "Every job is a portrait of the person who does it. Autograph your work with excellence."
[Song of the post] If - Bread
[Site of the post] http://www.smickandsmodoo.com/lyrics/if.htm

Today was our last OEP day. And today I finally managed to get Stripes and Pink on Kev's bed without him knowing. Lol! He woke up with Stripes in his face. Hee hee!

Okay, so after that we went to the Gia Dinh Special School for Intellectually Disabled Children. It was 3.9 and 3.17 the IB classes. Someone said it was ironic, sending the GEPs to this school instead of the handicapped children orphanage, but I think it's because we're smart enough to understand how to treat this kids. They were actually quite nice; they performed some traditional Vietnamese dance, and we performed our last-minute dance thing. And it was so fun! One of the smaller children actually came up on stage and tried dancing along with us! He was so cute! I don't know why 3.17 didn't do anything.

But Isaac was a genius. I think ie's because he lives with his younger siblings; that's how he does it. He put a sweet in each hand - the sweets we were meant to give out that we bought the day before - yeah, and he played the guessing game with some of the children. He was giving away the sweets, but in the most ingenius way I ever could imagine.

Oh, and I participated in the sack-race telematch thing which was quite fun also. I was trying hard not to win; but I won anyway. Oh well. But the kids there really loved music. They were singing and dancing so very enthusiastically; more than some people with normal working brains. It was just so... ah, words fail me.

After that, we headed to the Historical Museum, which held ancient Vietnamese artifacts from the 600s. I think they were rushing for time, because we only went halfway, up to about the 1000s, when we went to see the Water Puppet Show. It was really nice, but a bit ramshackle, with paint peeling off the puppets and some body parts literally hanging by a thread. But it was really nice, and quite well performed. They were in sync most of the time, and it was darn funny how they tried to catch fish by headbutting the water. XD

We had a bit of free time before lunch, so they let us roam Diamond Shopping Centre. It wasn't as big as Taka or J8 or Plaza Singapura, but it had an arcade on the top floor, and that's where everybody went. But I stuck with KW and Boey and got a box of Merci chocolates for Long, as a thank-you and farewell present. Oh, and we bought these shaker-fries thingy that you could pour cheese powder in and it tasted real good!

Then we went to the Le Quy Don School, and performed again, although this time it was a bit less polished. Ah well. Then they sang a couple of songs for us and played some sports with them: badminton and basketball. We got owned in both. A bunch of people, I won't say who, heard that there were some girls going around asking us for our email address, and went looking for them. Sigh.

But Mr Quek sang If during our visit. The first verse anyway. And, remember? I heard it on the radio on the way to the airport. It was so... coincidental and funny! And sir's voice is seriously very good. He managed to sing the whole verse, even though he said he had trouble remembering lyrics.

Anyway, here's the lyrics for If. The link at the top of this post brings you to a page with lyrics and a MIDI, so you can listen. I just love this song.

If - Bread
If a picture paints a thousand words
Then why can't I paint you
The words will never show
The you I've come to know
If a face could launch a thousand ships
Then where am I to go
There's no one home but you
You're all that's left me too
And when my love for life is running dry
You come and pour yourself on me

If a man could be two places at one time
I'd be with you
Tomorrow and today, beside you all the way
If the world should stop revolving
Spinning slowly down to die
I'd spend the end with you
And when the world was through
Then one by one the stars would all go out
Then you and I would simply fly away


Nice song, right?

Anyway, after that we took a picture (which reminds me - must get pics from all my classmates) with some of the students from the school, then headed back to the hotel for the final farewell dinner.

There's something about that dinner that stuck with me. Maybe it's the fact that KW went in his sleep clothes. Maybe it's because the queue for food was miles long and people actually lined up for dessert first. Maybe it's because there were five people who had birthdays over the week. Maybe it's because it was the last supper, and the OEP would be over the next day.

Well, the food was good (I can only say it was worth the time it took lining up for it) and after the plates cleared, there was some last minute reflections and stuff where Mr. Lim randomly picked people to say stuff about the trip. Mostly politically-correct answers, so. Oh yeah, I was wearing my new orange cap; it was so cool. ^^

That night I tried finishing my Chinese worksheets; but then I changed my mind. I thought it would be better to spend the time with my friends instead. ^^

And end the last night!

No comments: