Sunday, November 21, 2004

Bugged - in both senses of the word

I feel overworked. That's how you are supposed to feel when tracking down an unknown killer on the loose.
OK, so there isn't a real killer. Puh-leeze. Can't you people take a joke from a child with an over-active imagination?
Anyway, I am tracking someone down. Someone you 3 billion people with Internet access probably don't know. And some of you who know about my blog will probably be stunned. Because I am looking for a girl.
WAIT!
It's not what you think. Here's the background information.
Casefile: File No. K0L239L
Operation: LAPINE
Ooh... sounds like a detective story... and of course, you'd be right.
Anyway, this mysteryous girl messaged me in KoL a week before my trip to Perth after watching a short movie on the day of the GEP Public Speaking Competition.
More information on:


  1. Kingdom of Loathing
  2. Public Speaking Competion
  3. Movie
Moving on...
So, she messages me without any form of identification whatsoever. I try to track her down, but to no avail. I leave for Perth, confused and helpless.
However, when I return from Perth, Peter says that he managed to "extract" a little information from her. A cryptic clue about my kindergarden yearbook and the seating arrangements...
This is my only lead. I begin ransacking my own house, looking for the yearbook. Unfortunately, I could not find it. Sigh.
Which leads me here. I am scouring the Internet for the picture... the picture which holds the true identity of mysterious Agent Lapine...

Sorry... got carried away... Heehee...

Anyway, I dreamt up this nice little scene of my serach. I am an amateur scriptwriter after all. Note that anything from this point on is truly fantasy. Nothing of the below has happened. NOTHING.

Casefile: File No. K0L239L
Operation: LAPINE
Dateline: 21 November 2004

"Evening, Chief."
"Evening, Ernie. What have we got on the Lapine situation?"
"Nothing, Chief. We've tried everything. But we still can't find the book."
"Well, well. She's proving more evasive than she looks."
"But Chief, you haven't seen her yet!"
"It was just an expression!" I sighed. "Alright, what have we got?"

"Nothing, sir. Only the cryptic clue. The one about the book."
"Okay... How about the bugs?"
"None sir," said Ed. "We've got about a hundred possible sites, but no distinctive targets. There's this rumour, though, that -"
"Enough on that," I snapped. "This is getting serious. Redouble all surveillence, 24-7. I want satelllites 6 and 42 on this. Check any possible paper trails. Phone bills, credit card bills, etc. Ed, activate and deploy a DNA scan. I don't care how long it takes, just do it. I want a surveillence team on every suspect house. Ernie, see if you can't find the book. Prepare Operation Heart Transplant just in case. Edna, get full Internet surveillence, especially in KoL."
"Do you want to get the press, sir?"
"Not now. It can wait a few more days till it goes public. We'll find out who she is..."


OK, from this point on, it is NOT fiction anymore. Phew!
Well, OK, the story's a bit overrated, but it is nice that at least SOMEONE still remembers me from my days in kindergarden. Whee! Now I know I'm not alone in this world... =P

No comments: