Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Steins;Gate

I find I'm saying the same things over and over again with awesome anime. Brilliant plot, loveable characters, emotional heartstring-pulling, etc. It's the same over and over again. I just don't know what to say anymore. I mean it's a wonderful show and all, but I don't know how to comment on it in an original and non-clichéd way.

Maybe I should start over.

Steins;Gate was extremely good. It had an excellent, well-crafted storyline with streamlined pacing and wonderful plot twists. It kept me on the edge of my seat, it did, and each well-placed cliffhanger (at the end of the episode, where else?) always left me craving for the next one. I salute the writers, for it is difficult to work with a time-travel story (just ask comic book writers) and make it work: to be layered and complex but without the usual confusion inherent in the nature of time-travel.

I liked the characterization. Each character was crafted to be unique and easily identified, and with enough humanity to be endearing. Okabe was hilarious, but it was interesting to see his deconstruction as time (haha) went by. Kurisu... well as female lead she's obviously very attractive, and it was funny to throw in a bit of closet-otaku character. Daru... Boey in ten years. Enough said. Mayushii was drop-dead adorable, but she's more of the sister-type I guess. Suzuha was cute too; I liked her a lot. Feyris was hilarious and adorable and a bit creepy at the same time; I mean, who goes around saying nyan all the time? Moeka was creepy - that's all. Even Mister Braun was hilarious and mindblowing.

I've seen a few time-travel stories in my ti- in my life, and I do believe none of them plays out the Butterfly Effect to its true potential. I mean, changing one decision you made in the past should radically alter the world in completely unimaginable ways, not make a similar world with one significant difference. Though of course, there won't be much of a story to tell after that. Most of the physics in the world works out though (as far as I can tell; I'm not an expert), so that's nice.

I guess you're wondering why the slew of anime recently; I'm finishing up some homework so that the Japan Trip experience won't be so alien to me. Comima, here I come.

Tu-tu-ruu~!
The Edna Man

No comments: