Tuesday, April 12, 2011

The Republic of Heaven

I have just finished reading Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials for the second time. I blogged about it once. Here I am doing so again.

It is a powerful, powerful force that compels you to re-read a work of fiction. And it is a powerful, powerful story to let you enjoy it for so many times. And the ending still pulled my heartstrings, just like the first time.

Maybe that's what falling in love is?

When I first read the trilogy, I thought I understood everything about it. I saw the countless layers of meaning as clearly as Lyra saw the meanings of the symbols on the alethiometer. After four years, online essays/discussions, TVTropes, and a enjoyable re-reading, I find out so many things I never saw before.

And we are still enthralled by the power of love.

"But just keep up this coming here once a year, just for a hour, just to be together..." -- Lyra

Because we have to build it, wherever we are.
The Edna Man

No comments: