Wednesday, April 05, 2006

3 Killed in Crane Disaster

A crane and its 185-tonne load collapsed at 10am yesterday morning, killing 3 people, including the supervisor's uncle. The supervisor's relatives now blame him for sending his uncle to his death.

"If I supervised your father at work and something happened to him, who would you blame? The first thing they would ask is, 'my father worked for you, why didn't you take care of him?' Now that he's gone, how do you explain?"

"I wanted to tell them that I did not cause his death. That's why I'm here. It was an industrial accident. No one knew the accident would happen."

"I want to use my heart to try to explain to his family. I am his nephew and his supervisor.
"I sent the best man for the job."

"One doesn't only cry for his mother and father. I have known him for over 30 years. He's my partner at work.
"This morning, we were joking, now he is dead. You can't have him back. Do you understand?"

"He doesn't smoke. He doesn't drink. He didn't even have to work. He works hard, and goes home for dinner everyday. How can a good man die so young? All his children are married. He didn't even have to work and could have retired. He was just passing time."

-Taken from I Didn't Send Him To Die, The New Paper, 5th April 2006.

No comments: