Saturday, July 18, 2009

Half-Bloods and Handphones

So I watched the Half-Blood Prince yesterday. It was kind of a let-down, seeing as there was no epic battle scene at the end, which should have been there ANYWAY. It's like they're saving it for Deathly Hallows. And to top it all off, Luna Lovegood didn't get enough screen time. Seriously, Luna is AWESOME. And I don't remember Tonks being so dreary and brunette. She's supposed to have pink hair, dammit.

Anyway, I guess it's not really worth the $10 you pay to watch it on a Friday night, so I guess I got my money's worth from the people you sit with. I have the feeling that we pissed off the other people sitting in the cinema though. But man, it was fun.

Oh yeah, my mom got me a new (free) phone. The number's the same but it's switched to one of those newer 3G SimCards, so they cancelled the line on my old card on Thursday. It goes to show how different/deprived* (delete where appropriate) I am, because when my mom told me I was like, "What? You got me a new phone?" not in that excited, jubilant voice but with that affronted and disappointed tone. So you get my friends' reactions: "Wah, your mom gets you a new phone, still not happy arh?"

I guess I value my old phone very dearly. It's 3G - three generations old, used to be owned by my aunt, who passed it to my mom, who passed it to me. It's old, but not so old as to not have colour images and polyphonic ringtones. I've had it for about five or six years (yes it's THAT old) and it's been working fine for me up till now. You know how you hear those stories of people losing their phone all over the place, or dropping it and it breaks, or it's got weird battery or start-up malfunctions. My phone served me well for one-third of my life, and it's outlived anything my friends have. Or had.

I guess having a communications antique keeps you humble. You've never had anoy of those sexy new iPhones or flashy paper-thin showpieces which might crack if you bend it too much; so you never feel the need to show off. And its antiquity means it is the least likely to be stolen, because who would want it? It's got no camera, so it fits perfectly into the army knapsack, and has never been the subject of controversial discussions about camera-phoning people in public. It was perfect. But the SimCard's been Avada Kedavra-ed, so now it's just a clunky contact-storage device.

Gonna miss you, old pal,
The Edna Man

No comments: