Monday, April 06, 2015

Poetry Month: If I Had One More Day to Live

If I Had One More Day to Live

If I had one more day to live...
Oh, what a futile narrative!

One more day of pain and strife,
One more day of fear and hate.
Suffer not the stupid blighters,
Nor the idiotic fools.
Just shuffle off this mortal coil,
No more time to make amends;
I cannot take it anymore,
Time to shove off and leave this place.
Sick and tired of religion,
Fed up with the loneliness;
Cannot stand the two-faced traitors,
Up to here with social justice.
Nothing meets your expectations,
People tell you what to dream;
I'd do naught else and only this,

If I'd but one more day to live!

I can't forget the things I'd miss:
Licking chocolate chip ice cream,
Comic book film adaptations;
Disc-shaped worlds atop a tortoise,
And being civil to your waiters;
Reveling in new-found freeness,
Running through a flock of pigeons;
There's marvelling at outer space,
And mixing up your metaphors;
Playing board games with your friends,
Or pasta cooked in olive oil.
Floating deep in swimming pools;
When you hug her and she hugs tighter;
A simple smile on your first date -
I'd lose it all if I lose life.

I guess I have to take and give,
If I had one more day to live.

No comments: