Saturday, April 04, 2015

Poetry Month: The Dragonfly

The Dragonfly

Tonight, a maddening creature
Flew into my room on the sly.
It wasn't a bird -
Though that would be preferred
To this gigantic dragonfly.

This insect is truly enormous,
See how it doth nature defy.
You don't understand,
It's the size of my hand,
Or maybe a large-ish bonsai.

It's buzzing around my furniture,
And fighting my fan up on high.
I'm frightfully scared
It will leave me impaired
If it swerves right into my eye.

Excuse me, you cannot remain here,
So I really don't understand why
You won't go away;
Please leave me, I pray,
Or I think I might curl up and die.

Hello there neighbour, how are you?
I thought I'd just saunter by.
Oh, nothing's the matter,
I just had to scatter
From the terror that is dragonfly.

Come see for yourself - it's enormous!
And since you're here, be my ally.
I don't dare get closer,
So be my disposer,
And on you I'll fully rely.

What do you mean, you can't do it?!
I thought you were such a tough guy!
I'm surprised to find
You're so disinclined;
Never knew you were just a small fry.

Man, I still have to sleep at some point;
So I can't just stand idly by.
I reckon my broom
Gives me just enough room
To knock it right out of the sky.

It's clinging onto my curtains,
But I have a plan now, whereby
I'll carefully nudge it,
And hopefully budge it
Away - hey, it's worth a try.

It flew out into the corridors,
And sadly, I can't tell a lie;
But I'm filled with elation
That this tribulation
Is now somebody else's. Goodbye!

--------------------

Loosely inspired by real events that happened tonight with my friend and neighbour Dylan. The part where he abandons me such that I have to fight the fire-breathing dragonfly alone is sadly, true.

No comments: