Friday, March 24, 2006

March ado about nothing

[Quote of the post] No matter how hard I fight I won't get stronger, I get pumped on the road and my hands just bleed x_x –SZ, MSN nickname
[Song of the post]When You Believe – Prince of Egypt Soundtrack

Uniformed Youth Organizations. Why do we do it? Some people like them: Herrick, Darrell, BB people, Mong; but the majority of us does not. So why do we do it?

If I’m not wrong, Dr Ong is emphasizing more and more on UYOs now. Increased budget for NPCC, instillation of importance in NCC (Air)… there’s no doubt about it.

And students only go through with this because they are forced to. The fascinating thing about our meritocratic society is that it is very for the government to get students (and indirectly, parents) to do things which the government wants. “Torturous training? Oh no, it develops character and leadership in our students and trains them to become officers of tomorrow. Oh by the way, did I mention there’ll be CCA points as well?

Another barrier is the discipline system. Another great thing about the crime-prevention system is that it hinges more towards the punishment than the reward method. So students crawl their way through the trainings, knowing that anything they do will probably result in demerit points, and poof goes the chances of CCA points.

And so the students go through it week after week, training after training of drills, push-ups, strenuous activities that are supposed to test your mind and body but in reality waste your time and leave you to die.

No matter how hard I fight I won't get stronger, I get pumped on the road and my hands just bleed. –SZ

I’ll probably never understand the army system until I experience it for real. This cheap substitute in school called UYO, it’s nothing compared to real NS. But more and more of it is creeping into the school system. If I remember correctly, someone in high authority (can’t really remember who) said something along the lines of “Act first, ask later” during one of the morning devotions.

All these organizations are supposed to be, well, organized. But what I hate about all the groups and organizations is their lack of organization. Everyone in a position of power seems to want to waste the time away so they don’t have to do anything. There doesn’t appear to be any sense of doing the duty that was assigned. UYO doesn’t have to start half as early if the NCOs didn’t waste almost 45 minutes for admin. Prefect meetings wouldn’t cut into duty time if the meeting started promptly at the stated time. Half the activities and most of the rules in UYO make no sense. It seems like the army system favours organization to time, because when you’re organized you save time. Not for the case of the individual.

I really liked SZ’s line. I don’t know why, I just do. I'm sick of UYO, I'm sick that we can't do anything about it, I'm sick of losing 4 hours of my life every Friday, and usually more during the rest of the week.

No comments: